DBHDD’s waiver programs promote personal choice and control by providing the opportunity to self-direct certain eligible waiver services to participants who live in their own private residence or the home of a family member. Participant Direction (or Self-Direction) offers participants (and/or their representatives) the ability to determine which employees or vendors will be hired to deliver their services and provide supplies and additional supports.
Determining an Individual’s Eligibility
In order for individuals to self-direct waiver services and supports, the following requirements must be met:
- Must have a NOW or COMP Waiver
- Must live in their own home or family home
- Must choose a Financial Support Services Provider
- Must work with a Support Coordinator to ensure choice to self-direct is indicated in ISP and budget
How To Get Started
- Review COMP and NOW Chapter 600 - 1200
- Contact your assigned (SC) to discuss your choice to self-direct services. listed in the Manual must be met prior to being allowed to choose the Participant-Direction option.
- Attend one day of Mandatory Participant Direction Training and sign the (MOU).
- Choose a (Fiscal Agent) to manage your waiver funds. Contact the Fiscal Agent of your choice and ask for their enrollment packet. Complete all of the required forms and send them back to the Fiscal Agent for processing.
- Have your Support Coordinator submit an Individualized Service Plan (ISP) or addendum with self-direction as a selection.
Services Eligible for Participant Direction
- Community Access Individual
- Community Access Group
- Community Living Support
- Community living Support – Shared
- Community Living Support – Extended
- Community Living Support – Personal Assistance Retainer
- Respite – Hourly
- Respite – Daily
- Environmental Accessibility Adaptation
- Community Guide
- Individual Directed Goods and Services
- Natural Support Training
- Adult Dental
- Adult Physical Therapy
- Adult Occupational Therapy
- Adult Speech-Language Therapy
- Vehicle Adaptation
- Behavioral Supports Consultation
- Behavioral Supports Services
- Supported Employment
- Specialized Medical Supplies
- Specialized Medical Equipment
- (A helpful guide to directing services, including forms you may use at your discretion)
- Glossary of Acronyms (see policy attachment)
For help accessing participant direction services in your area, please contact your regional field office.