Aging with Developmental Disabilities
In order to make sure Georgia residents and families are aware of resources and information regarding the needs of aging individuals with developmental disabilities, DBHDD has partnered with the Department of Human Services, Division of Aging (DAS). DAS maintains a network of service providers, including Area Agencies on Aging (AAA), located throughout the state.
Georgia’s Aging and Disability Resource Connection (ADRC)
Georgia’s Aging and Disability Resource Connection (ADRC) offers a coordinated system of partnering organizations dedicated to:
- Providing accurate information about publicly and privately financed long-term supports and services.
- Offering a consumer-oriented approach to learning about the availability of services in the home and community.
- Alleviating the need for multiple calls and/or visits to receive services.
- Supporting individuals and family members who are aging or living with a disability.
ADRC Resource Program Specialists (DD) liaison with the Division of Aging (DAS) to ensure that Regional Field Offices are aware of aging resources and networks. For information about Aging Services in your county, contact your local Area Agency on Aging (AAA) by telephone 1-866-55-AGING or 866-552-4464.
Georgia Centers for Independent Living
Georgia’s local Centers for Independent Living (CILs) provide resources and assistance to seniors and residents with disabilities who desire to live independently in their communities. Find your Local Center for Independent Living and learn more.
Online Resources for Aging with Developmental Disabilities
Please refer to the links below for more information, including support needs, healthcare strategies for healthy community living, and support for caregivers and providers.
- Family Caregiver Alliance
- American Society on Aging
- American Association on Intellectual Disabilities
- Center for Excellence in Aging and Community Wellness
- Untied Stated Senate Special Committee on Aging
- National Elder Law Foundation
- Alzheimer’s Association-Georgia Chapter
- Alzheimer’s Foundation of America
- Georgia Division of Aging Services
- American Association on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities
- National Down Syndrome Society
- United Cerebral Palsy
- Age In Place
- The Arc Center for Future Planning
- The Arc Georgia
- National Council on Aging
- Georgia Council on Aging
- Center for Positive Aging
- Special Needs Alliance
- American Academy of Developmental Medicine and Dentistry
- Find a Certified Elder Law Attorney