Family Support Services
Family Support Services is a non-entitlement program which brokers disability-specific services based on the unique needs of individuals and their families. We provide our services with the belief that families belong together and individuals are best served in a community setting. Our ultimate goal is to maintain a cohesive family unit while helping individuals live at home in the community. These supports meet everyday needs that are often critical in avoiding family crises.
Family Support Services are tailored to meet your family’s needs. Family Support Coordinators work with families to develop Individualized Family Support Service Plans. Some of the services might include:
- Information and referral.
- Assistance in identifying needs.
- Advocacy to obtain needed services or benefits.
- Assistance locating and acquiring services such as:
- Respite Services
- Social/Recreational Activities
- Family Education
- Special medical equipment, diets, clothing, and personal care items
- Other services and supports unique to each family's needs
Individuals age 3 and up with a diagnosed developmental disability living in Georgia at home with their families, and are not currently receiving a NOW/COMP Waiver, are eligible for Family Support Services. Eligible diagnoses include, but are not limited to:
- Developmental Disability
- Intellectual Disability
- Cerebral Palsy
- Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Down Syndrome
Apply for Services
Family Support Services applications are accepted at the local community based providers. To locate your local office, please see this .
- Families must complete an Application for Family Services (See Attachment A)
- Complete the Family Support Agreement (See Attachment B)
- Provide supporting documentation of the identified developmental disability. Supporting documentation includes documents that indicate the individual has been diagnosed with a developmental disability, including:
- DD Intake and Evaluation Assessment through a DBHDD Regional Office
- Psychological Evaluation
- School IEP
- Medical Verification of ID/DD by a Physician
- Social Security Disability
For help accessing intellectual and developmental disability services in your area, please contact your regional field office.