The role of the IDD Advisory Council is to advise DBHDD on matters relating to the care, services, and support offered to people with intellectual/developmental disabilities served by the DBHDD.
The IDD Advisory Council is comprised of individuals receiving intellectual/developmental disability services, family members and legal representatives of persons with intellectual/developmental disabilities, or self-advocates; individuals representing advocacy organizations focused on intellectual/developmental disabilities, and individuals representing Georgia’s public or private providers of intellectual/developmental disability services. Every effort is made to ensure representation from all regions of the state.
The council advises DBHDD regarding:
- assuring that the Department follows best practices in their services to people with intellectual/ developmental disabilities.
- assuring that the Department’s programs for people with intellectual/developmental disabilities provide quality services in a cost-effective manner.
- recommending improvements to the Division for existing programs serving people with intellectual/developmental disabilities.
- recommending the development and implementation of additional programs for people with intellectual/developmental disabilities in Georgia.
- reviewing the Department’s policy and making recommendations regarding the adherence to the Department’s mission, the cost of proposed policies and amendments, and the potential implications of implementation of the policies/revisions.
- facilitating communication among Department and Division staff, providers of services, service recipients, parents/guardians/advocates of people with intellectual/developmental disabilities, and other public and private entities involved in delivering services to people with intellectual/developmental disabilities.
DD Advisory Council Members
- Bruce Lindemann, Ph.D. – Dunwoody, GA, Chair
- Heather Daily – Canton, Georgia, Vice-Chair
- Caroline Chandler – Albany, GA; Secretary
- Pauline Shaw – Rincon, GA
- Riad Akhras – Eatonton, Georgia
- Gina DiPolito – Statesboro, Georgia
- June DiPolito – Statesboro, Georgia
- Nandi Isaac – Macon, Georgia
- Julie Kable, Ph.D. – Atlanta, Georgia
- Twana King – Dublin, Georgia
- Heidi Moore – Alpharetta, Georgia
- Shane Wellman – Brooklet, Georgia
- Ryan Whitmire - Jefferson, GA
- Mira Stallings - Thomson, GA
- Andrea Ford - Jackson, GA
Meetings are held from 10:00 am until 12:30 pm on the fourth Wednesday of the first month of each quarter. The quarterly meeting schedule is as follows:
January 25, 2023
April 26, 2023
July 26, 2023
Interested in serving on the DDAC? Complete your DD Advisory Council Candidate Application.
Comment or Question?
Please complete this form to submit a comment or question to the DD Advisory Council. The Council would like to improve communication efforts by receiving input from stakeholders across the state. Comments and/or questions will be presented to the Council. While Council members and the Division of Developmental Disabilities staff will review and consider all comments/questions, we cannot guarantee that there will be a formal response to all comments.
You may also use this form to register for Quarterly Meetings as an observer or public comment speaker (3-minute maximum)