Georgia’s Recovery Definition
Recovery is a deeply personal, unique, and self determined journey through which an individual strives to reach his/her full potential. Persons in recovery improve their health and wellness by taking responsibility in pursuing a fulfilling and contributing life while embracing the difficulties one has faced.
Recovery is not a gift from any system. Recovery is nurtured by relationships and environments that provide hope, empowerment, choices and opportunities.
Recovery belongs to the person. It is a right, and it is the responsibility of us all.
- Emerges from hope
- Is person-driven
- Strengths based
- Age Independent
- Recognizes the wisdom of “lived experiences”
- Occurs via many pathways
- Is holistic
- Is supported by peers, allies, advocates and families
- Is nurtured through relationships and social networks
- Is culturally based and influenced
- Is anchored in wellness- addressing a person’s emotional health, environmental well being, financial satisfaction, intellectual creativity, occupational pursuits, physical activities, social engagement and spiritual health
- Addresses trauma
- Supports self- responsibility
- Empowers communities
- Is based on respect